|Skeleton sermon — add your own meat|
Don’t Let The Stink Stop You!!
By Johnny Campbell
Text: John 11:33-40
33 When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled,
34 And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see.
35 Jesus wept.
36 Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him!
37 And some of them said, Could not this man, which opened the eyes of the blind, have caused that even this man should not have died?
38 Jesus therefore again groaning in himself cometh to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone lay upon it.
39 Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days.
40 Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?
If you’ve been saved any length of time, you’ve read and heard preached the story of Mary, Martha and their brother Lazarus — how that Lazarus was sick and Jesus was only two miles away but didn’t come when they needed him. Why? My friend, it was for the glory of GOD according to chapter 11 verse 4. This message is about when JESUS came to Martha and Mary after Lazarus had been dead four day.
Notice where Mary goes to the tomb with JESUS who commands that they take away the stone. Then Mary says, “LORD, if I take away that stone, you will be stirring up a stink.” JESUS was telling Mary she would see the glory of GOD if she doesn’t let the stink stop.
Now, don’t you think the LORD stirred up a stink when he threw some things out of His Father’s House (the moneychangers)? Also, the great Apostle Paul stirred up a stink every where that he went. They said he was a trouble maker and turned cities up side down. Furthermore, John The Baptist stirred up a stink preaching certain things were not lawful. That’s why I loved Lester Roloff — he didn’t worry about causing a stink when it came to defending his children’s home and standing for righteousness.
I think, as twice-born, blood washed, children of God, our LORD gave us examples for throwing some things out of our Father’s House, even if it causes a stink.
Some things that you can cause a real stink over.
A. When your convictions don’t line up with a Pharisee.
Now, talk about a stink! This will cause you trouble for sure. You will learn a Pharisee is the most threatened person on planet earth if you question their authority or their love for God. In other word, they’re no better than a Pope.
The Pharisee’s “bible” is limited to ten beliefs or convictions:
- Legalist: Anybody who has more convictions than I have.
- Liberal: Anybody with less convictions than I have.
- Heretic: Anybody who believes something that I don’t believe.
- Cultist: Anybody who doesn’t follow the man that I follow.
- Out of God’s will: Anybody who doesn’t do what I tell them.
- God’s hand is off them: Anybody that I don’t like.
- Lost: Any Christian that I’m mad at.
- Unpardonable Sin: To disagree with me.
- Sin unto death: Just cross me.
- Charity: What people need to have more of for me.
B. Helping Folks.
Can sometimes cause a stink, especially if your an Evangelist.
C. When you preach it “gun barrel-straight,” even in lots of fundamental circles.
Yes sir, you can stir up a real stink if you preach on:
- Lazy Preachers, as well as pointing out cussing preachers. I believe that you can still be a gentleman and preach the Gospel.
- “Moochinaries” (from the word “missionaries”): One fellow stood up in camp meeting with tears in his eyes and said, “Folks, please pray for my wife to get a job because if it gets much worse, I’m gonna have to go to work.
- Rip off Camp Meetings: I think every person in America ought to read Ralph Sexton Sr.’s book on “Rip-offs and Rogues in Camp meetings.”
Friend, never let fear of causing a stink stop you from what is right. If you do have fear of causing a stink, you will never see the glory of GOD.